Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So today, I did nothing. I woke up, rolled around a bit, fell back asleep to finally awaken around 9, and then lounge around the house for another 2 hours before deciding to get out. Where to? Loaded Joes... my morning/early afternoon spot, to enjoy some coffee and read a book or browse the web. It's a nice little place in Avon with some comfy couches, a coffee bar and a full bar. I see locals drop in and meet up with friends for some quiet conversation and usually around 4, the ski or boarder crowd grab a beer to celebrate their day. For me, it's sometimes a place to do work, or just sit for a bit and read.

I spent much of the later afternoon online, trying to figure out my next venture. I can't recall if I had ever mentioned this in a previous entry but I want to do some volunteer work with wildlife. Why? I just have this curiosity with animals. I always find the discover channel programs interesting and would love to just observe a lion or cheetah for hours on end. The cats have a certain quality to them. They walk with purpose... be it a very simple one... to survive. They are constantly fending for their lives, defending their territory, and searching for a meal. Instinctively they survey their land for any signs of a meal.  There's a certain elegance in their stride only shadowed by their pride. They walk tall and proud until they spot some game.
The cheetah chases are among my favorites. They spend time, lying in the grass, observing from a far. Which will be my meal today? Which is the easiest one to catch? Little by little, they sneak a bit closer, pausing multiple times, reassessing the situation, gaining a better position, and marking their target. They stalk their prey, slithering up, their outline broken by their unique coats. Those eyes accented by a dark crying streak, fixated, waiting for their prey to get a bit closer, their prey unknowingly closer to their death.
Then suddenly, it's off and often at 60 - 70 mph at 3 seconds. Each stride reflecting the strength and flexibility of the cheetah. Often targeting a gazelle, the chase begins. It anticipates its preys path, cutting corners, quickly closing. A quick pounce and a paralyzing bite. Within a couple of minutes, it's all over and the cheetah has it's reward. Though this isn't always the case, references have said that 50% of attempts are succesful.
Its amazing! I want to see it with my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment