Sunday, August 23, 2009

Likeke Trail (kinda), Likeke Waterfall


(view from above the Pali, early on in the trail, taken at "Pali 2" waypoint on the map)

Trails: Likeke Trail (part of)
Distance: 3.8 miles (one way to the end, you will want to turn around around 3.5 miles)
Elevation Gain: unsure, see elevation profile for an idea
Hiking time: 2 hours 15 mins (for the one way trip from the trail head to the highway)
Area: Off the Pali, near Kailua and Kaneohe
Trailhead: Pali Outlook (north bound overlooking Kailua)
Directions (via bus): Take the 56 or 57 to the first stop after the descent to Kailua. Trek back to the Pali Lookout and you'll see a sign for the Mauanwili Trail
Sights: Likike Waterfall, Kaneohe, Kailua, Pali Lookout
Recommendations for hike: Bug spray!!! I got so many bites. A snack and water. Towel or bathing suite if you want to wade around in the pool. Go in the morning. Afternoon gets very muggy. Though you're not in the sun too much, you want some for the hike to the trail head if you're going by bus.

Yellow Path - Trail
Green path - walk from bus stop to Pali Outlook
Magenta Path - Walk back via highway

This profile is only for the trail path (yellow path in above pic).

First off, the statistics above way not be accurate. Use them as a guide rather than true numbers, if you want to go on this hike. It's usually a to and back hike long the trail but my one way path was extended and rerouted.

T afternoon, i ventured off to do a mild hike. So via bus to the Pali Outlook.
This trail started off interesting enough. It was a bit confusing until you reach the actual Likeke Trail. First off, from the trail head, take the Maunawili Trail at the right end of the Pali Outlook. You'll soon come across a junction that indicateds Mauanawili Trail to Waimanalo. Instead, take the stairs to the right and it'll follow the Pali Highway (going back towards Honolulu). At one point there is an opening where you can get a great view of Kaneohe and Kailua. Follow the trail and you'll be hiking along a fence on your right. I was a little confused about the next steps. At the end (or so it seems), you can see a paved road in front through some brush and the Pali Highway on the right. Go down to the right and underneath the highway. You'll find some rope and wooden steps to go under the highway. This was pretty fun. Just something different that you don't find on hikes. Continue on the trail which is relatively clear and you'll be on a paved road which is Old Pali Rd. Continue to follow it and you'll intersect another road that is bending around the corner. If you look to the far left, you'll see a short stone wall. Just beyond it is the entrance to the hike. From here the path is clear.

A short hike up with a handful of twists and back down and you'll come across another junction. I imagine some of this trail to be muddy after rain fall so becareful. Go left and you'll head towards the waterfall. The straight route will go to the golf course. I fortunately found a group to follow. Otherwise I may not have caught it. The waterfall is mild. Very small pool. There were a bunch of people just chilling. Supposedly, a lot of locals and tourist come to the falls. It's less than a mile from the trailhead. It was pleasant but not exciting. So onto the hike.

It winds around the foothills constantly descending into a gulch and rising out of it. I jogged part of it until I tripped and did a dive like I was stealing 2nd (not that I would really know but it's what I imagined it to be like). My knee is still a bit inflamed and hands have abrasions. Not a good start. So the trial continues to repeat itself, dipping into a gulch, crossing a small stream here and there, hiking out of it and... well it repeats. There are some nice spots where you can see Kaneohe and look back to the Pali (see pics below). There are 2 or 3 outlooks like this.

So after the last outlook, the trail continues. I believe you're supposed to turn back but I continued. I should have known since the trail was less worn. I was walking through a lot of low lying brush and some even to my chest. But the path was clear enough to be a trail. The entire trail was marked with pink ribbon and it continued and so did I. I started getting annoyed... thinking... where could this possibly lead. Well my thoughts were on the right track but I wasn't. After another mile or so, I come to the end. Guess what? Nothing there. Just a highway in the way. There was a spot where you could descend and go under the highway but I was so annoyed at that point that I decided against it. I was far out enough and didn't want to walk to far back.

So I backtracked a bit and took some time, finding and hopping a fence where I reached a highway. Wasn't as easy it sounds. I remember it being much easier as a kid. Also a 10 lb backpack doesn't help but I think that last part is just an excuse. Walked a couple miles back and ended my trip. Going on another trip tomorrow so I can't where my legs out.


Interesting set of trees in the beginning of the trail before crossing the Pali Highway.

You're on the right track, keep going!

Rickety old stairs. They were stable enough. This lets you get under the Pali Highway to old Pali Rd.

View from under the Pali Highway


Old Pali Rd.

Random flower along the trail

Entrance to Likeke trail

Likeke Falls ("Fall" waypoint on the map)

Odd plant

uh.... part of the trail

This was interesting. All of the trees were brushed in a single direction. I thought trees typically grow vertical to the earth not to the ground. Like if you're on a steep hill, the trees will be pointing up and angled to the ground. Guess I'm wrong.

View from one of the first openings

Kaneohe Bay (from "002" waypoint on the map)

Not sure what highway but I was really trying to capture the mountains in the back. (from "002" waypoint on the map)

See that strip of highway in the high center. That was the starting point or around there. (from "002" waypoint on the map)

1 comment:

  1. really you post some good pic's here really nice. I liked the picture very most.But i liked the picture very most is of the waterfall....


    Denis


    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete